Hey John,

Your email was very positive and I liked the tone, but...

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 11:06 -0600, John Vilsack wrote:
> DRM as a concept is not inherently bad.  Its simply poor
> implementations we've seen up to this point and how its been co-opted
> by media conglomerates that force us as a community to paint it in a
> negative light.  Someday, someone may actually get it right.

DRM right now is a system when you give the user the media they paid for
and a key to decrypt the media as well as a whole bunch of technical
limitations which _require_ the user to be striped of their freedoms in
order for it to make any sense at all.

Instead of DRM I would recommend Digital Recipient Receipts, a plain
text file with hashes to the non-encrypted media cross signed with the
distributor, studio and customer. It can detail the price, date of
purchase and license. Including if the license grants extras (such as
creative commons or gpl).

Now it can recommend to software that it do certain things, like play
adverts on a dvd. But if the customers thing this is an unfair request
on behalf of the studio/distributors then the software ignores it
because the software is not obliged legally. Of course then the software
makers, users and media can hash out exactly what is fair.

what you need is a balance between rights and proof of purchase to be
nailed down. Not the hand cuffing of users by media studios and
distributors.

MArtin,