I added Jo suggestions here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/themkpledge

We can see what to do with the guide later, but at least now is taking shape
somewhere.

For those too lazy to go to the url, the points are:

1. Never make people feel stupid for choosing a different OS. Let people
know what their choices are and what are the benefits of using Ubuntu.

2. Encourage people to try Ubuntu, not to change for Ubuntu. Make sure
everyone knows they don't have to give anything up. The goal is to make
people want to try Ubuntu, after trying it the choice is theirs.

3. Know who you're talking to. Choose the selling points more suitable to
your audience.. It's always nice to have a good argument in reserve when
people start asking questions, so don't spend them all at once.

4. Never oversell and never cover up weaknesses. The expectations should be
high enough for people to want to try it but still letting the system
surprise them in a positive way.

5. Make sure people knows why our claims are true before making them.

----

Feel free to modify them or add new points.

2010/8/13 Martin Owens <docto...@gmail.com>

> Thanks Jo,
>
> That was a great list of things and well put.
>
> Martin,
>

> On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 18:28 +0200, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> > On 11 August 2010 05:48, Lisandro Vaccaro <lisandro.vacc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > And also what would be the does and don'ts for marketing.
> >

> > 1. Almost anyone you're addressing will have Windows or OS X. Many of
> > those will have made a contious dicision to use the system their
> > using. Never let them feel stupid for making that choice. That means
> > you don't want to badmouth other systems. They've made good choices in
> > the past, and they'll make good choices in the future. But they have
> > to know what their choices are, and that's why they should familiarize
> > themselves with Ubuntu.
> >
> > 2. People are sceptical, specially when things are free. Make sure
> > everyone knows it's not a choice between their current system and
> > Ubuntu. They don't have to give anything up. The goal is to make
> > people want to _try_ Ubuntu, not to _choose_ Ubuntu. It might be fun
> > to try it, but the choice is theirs.
> >
> > 3. Different people are impressed by different things. Know who you're
> > talking to. Choose a few unique selling points that suits your
> > audience and stick with them. Aesthetics is important to some people,
> > while efficiency is more important to others. Some people are more
> > interested in ease of use than security. It's always nice to have a
> > good argument in reserve when people start asking questions, so don't
> > spend them all at once.
> >
> > 4. Disappointed people speak louder than happy people. Don't oversell
> > and never cover up weaknesses. If they try it and find that it's not
> > for them, they might still recommend that others give it a shot. If
> > you disappoint them, however, they will discourage others. In other
> > words, it's more important not to disappoint than it is to impress.
> > The expectations should be just high enough for people to want to try
> > it, but low enough that the system surprises them in a posisive way.
> >
> > 5. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If it sounds
> > too good to be true, then it probably is. There is much FUD about, so
> > make sure people know why your claims has to be true before you make
> > them! It requires more words, but it also eliminates the cause for
> > sceptisism and doubt. This helps people focus on your words instead of
> > your intentions, which dramatically increases your hitrate. This is
> > extremely important and mastering the techinique requires effort,
> > thought and practice. Whenever you hear or read an extraordinary
> > claim, ask yourself: "How would I have prepared my audience for that
> > claim?" Here's a few examples:
> >
> > Don't: "It's free! It doesn't cost anything!"
> > Do: "It's based on a cooperation between lots of large companies, who
> > either develop the software for internal use or as a service to their
> [...]

Lisandro H. Vaccaro