On 18 August 2010 00:46, Bryan Ogden <bry...@ogden-computers.com> wrote:

> I'm actually shocked that this is an argument at all.  Marketing teams
> market their products, not anyone else's.  You don't see McDonalds marketing
> for the "farmers" that raise the cattle where they get their beef.  They
> market solutions for hunger.

Careful with analogies & counter-factuals: Here in New Zealand, McDonalds *does
*market farmers' beef. All meat is free range here. I see it as the NZ
corporation distancing itself from practices everywhere else in the world.

Also, top-posting a digest makes it impossible to see what argument you're
unhappy about.

Lastly, please try to stay positive and assume good faith.

> That's what we should be doing with Ubuntu.
>
> So, what are our solutions?
> 1. Productivity - With Ubuntu Office (OOo) you have everything you need and
> more in one package at no extra cost.  This includes built-in compatibility
> with MS Office.

> 9. The list goes on and on...

But that's not all.  Have old computers that are starting to get sluggish?
>  Ubuntu is a great replacement for Virus and spyware ridden systems.

These are all features, not benefits. We should be marketing benefits, not
features. Benefits are much more emotional, which is why consumers make
purchase decisions. Feature lists have been the status quo that has brought
Ubuntu to the chasm. They will only slowly bring us out of it.

Finally, a system built for humans!!!

Agreed! But how to we sell this to consumers?

> Give them a document explaining how to back up their files in Windows XP
> and Vista, so that they can easily move them over to Ubuntu.

Do they need a document? The installer does this automatically...

> Secondly, there needs to be some type of info going to Mfg's.  Let's face
> it.  Most people buy a computer, and never mess with the OS.  We have to get
> them at the point of purchase, or they will just stick with Windows.

I strongly agree with this sentiment. Until bug #1 is fixed, MS Windows will
always have majority share in the stats.

However, is this marketing team able to influence what appears in stores? I
think we should focus on the demand-side, rather than the supply-side of
Ubuntu. Let Canonical talk to Dell & HP. This team can focus its energy on
consumers.

> Lastly, I think it's great and all that Ubuntu is open source, but it
> should really have the Linux separated from it in the marketing.

This was agreed to several weeks ago. It's been Canonical's practice for
several years.

[snip]

We shouldn't be explaining the benefits of using Open Source software.
>  Nobody cares except the people that already know, and even if they do care,
> and don't know, then there are already millions of webpages debating that.

I find that statement a little troubling. Are you able to expand on what you
mean? Are you saying that in Ubuntu-specific material, we shouldn't talk
about applications?

> Quick, easy, pointed info promoting Ubuntu and the ways that Ubuntu can
> make your computing experience easier!!!

The documentation team is really focused on creating high-quality, free
licenced guides to Ubuntu.

> That's just my opinion though.
>
> Bryan

Thanks for your input Brian!  Looking forward to your response.

Tim