On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Goran Crnkovic <ellipsi...@zoho.com> wrote:
> Those of you who have visited the Canonical Design team blog may have
> noticed the journey of Iain Farrell's Meerkat, Rick.
>
> - http://design.canonical.com/2010/08/my-new-friend/
> - http://design.canonical.com/2010/08/gone-for-a-walk/
> - http://design.canonical.com/2010/09/in-brazil/
>
> These got me thinking. What if we have Rick's friends show us what they are
> up to?
>
> So the idea is to have 1) a flickr page and 2) a collection of youtube
> videos.

Can we create a wiki and link those pages.

> Of course not everyone can afford/find a random Meerkat statue so instead I
> was thinking people write up a little "Wish you were here Rick" note to
> include as part of the photo. The pictures would ideally show the global
> nature of Ubuntu by ideally showing landmarks, culture and other "postcard"
> settings. The note could be written in the sand, in pebbles... people would
> be creative.
>
> The videos should be of a similar nature. They would ideally be short (<20
> seconds?) but could have the the individual say "Rick I wish you were here"
> or something similar.
>
> Thoughts?

I like it :-)

What about a Flat Meerkat (ie people print off a copy of a meerkat
color it etc) and then take it with them to tell their "Flat" Meerkat
story.  My kids had to do "Flat Stanley" stories and my husband and I
have been the recipient of many Stanleys to hang out with us for a
couple of days and tell his story.  To find out more about the Flat
Stanley project and how it works to better understand what I mean go
to: http://www.flatstanley.com/ (

This could also be a way to get kids involved with it  - and every
cycle we can change out the animals and keep a running list of the
Ubuntu Animals stories throughout each cycle etc.

Either way let's add stories to a wiki and either have Postcards to
Rick or Flat Meerkat stories to share with the Community.  Let me know
how I can help :-)

Amber

--
Amber Graner//akgraner//