On Wednesday 20 June 2007 09:51:12 Kevin Fries wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 09:39 -0700, Ronald Stewart wrote:
> > I would be shocked and surprised if this goes down the path of ARM.
>
> ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
>
> How can you consider building a mobile/embedded platform and ignore ARM?
> Just because Intel does not support non-ARM processors does not mean
> that the industry will just disappear!  The strength of Linux is that it
> works on all platforms, not just Intel ones.  To not support ARM is to
> play into Microsoft's hands.
>
> This group needs serious new leadership!!!

Though I'm not quite as bold as the above author I do have to wonder why
bother at all if all you do is x86.  on x86 I just install regular Ubuntu
with fewer packages.

Since Debian has done most of the ARM package ports, just as they did with x86
when Ubuntu began.  Hildon is a great UI for a small screen device but sucks
wind on a larger screen because it doesn't have a WM in the traditional
sense. Everything in Hildon is one size and stacked.  Which works great on
say my N800 but not on a larger screen (say laptop or tablet.)

Cheap fast way .... use icewm on ubuntu and create IceBuntu there, an x86
capable lightweight linux for physically small systems. It's gonna take more
than BusyBox to make it embedded IMHO.  Embedded will really require looking
into ARM (the leader in this space) Mips or perhaps the Menlo if they scale
it down (it's actually aimed at running a desktop OS from what I've seen, may
be wrong) Gumsticks etc are devices that I could understand but why call a
device with 100's of G's of HDD an embedded device.

James