After:
-- installing a Japanese font
-- generating the japanese locale (via locale-gen ja_JP.UTF-8)
-- setting the LANG variable to the same locale in /etc/X11/
Xsession.d/25ume-config-common_startup
-- installing scim-anthy
-- configuring scim to user anthy in the SCIM UI
-- restarting

Japanese Anthy char entry appears to work fine. Tested it in terminal
and the MidBrowser's URL field. But I don't speak or read Japanese so
I can only suppose it's working.

Does anyone know whether there is an Ubuntu Japanese font package? (I
got one from deb http://archive.ubuntulinux.jp/ubuntu-ja gutsy-ja/)

It was LARGE (9.9MBytes).

Kyle