From: Lynch, Rusty
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 9:48 AM
To: Matthew Garrett; Abbas, Mohamed
Cc: Ubuntu-mobile@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: RE: PPM status

I'm afraid this might not be the best mechanism to use since it assumes you
have access to the display, but the daemon is being launched at system startup
instead of inside the user session.

I can't just make the script be launched as system startup because other
plugins need to be run as root (i.e. the cpu plugin that needs to write to
sysfs files.)

I suspect the correct mechanism would be to call hal over the system dbus.  You
can see an implementation of this in the moblin-applets display applet.

The problem is that ppm is that the ppm display plugin is also making X calls
to adjust the screen saver timeout values, and I'm not sure what the correct
mechanism would be for this if we are running below the session.

    --rusty