On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 05:24:35PM -0500, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
> It was suggested that hildon-desktop may have performed (and may
> still perform) string translation in a manner that is inconsistent
> with translation via Launchpad.
>
> It appears to me that hildon-desktop uses the gnome gettext approach
> to internationlization for the following reasons:
>
> 1) grep hildon-desktop source for the gnome header that defines gnome
> i18n stuff and you get:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/src/hildon-desktop/hildon-desktop-0.0.21/src$
> find . | xargs grep i18n
> ./hn-others-button.c:#include <glib/gi18n.h>
> ./hn-app-tooltip.c:#include <glib/gi18n.h>
> ./hd-select-plugins-dialog.c:#include <glib/gi18n.h>
> ... etc.
>
> 2) grep for "_(", the gnome standard gettext() post macro
> substitution, and you get some 50 or so instances in hildon-desktop
> source.
>
> 3) I can use xgettext from the command line to generate a messages.po
> file.
>
> Can someone confirm/refute?

That was me, based on an earlier examination of the source which showed that
while it used gettext, the strings in the source code were not English, but
placeholder tags like "string1234" which were then translated via the usual
gettext mechanisms.

> The next question is whether hildon-desktop is translated upstream (I
> suppose that's gnome?) or in Launchpad. Launchpad reports it is not
> set up for translation. Anyone know?

It is translated upstream, but Launchpad allows translations to be added to
Ubuntu even where they don't exist (yet) upstream.

> Lastly, am I correct in thinking that if hildon desktop uses gnome
> gettext and is not translated upstream then there is no theoretical
> obstacle to its being set up for translation in launchpad?

If it uses gettext in the standard fashion now, it can be translated for
Ubuntu using Launchpad.

--
 - mdz