On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 09:57 -0800, Brandt, Todd E wrote:
> I tend to favor having as much control as possible, but was overruled
> since having both the PCM and Front controls confuses the “average”
> user.  Thanks for the note though, I’ll keep an eye on the media app
> to be sure there are no conflicts.

How does this confuse the average user?  Windows has the same control on
most sound cards, it's just labeled "wave".

Also, each system has it's own configuration in the hda driver, so what
you see on Samsung Q1 Ultra is different than on the CrownBeach, or any
other platform for that matter.

As an alsa developer, I'm trying to make the mixer controls as intuitive
as possible for the given system, but the PCM control is a soft volume
control handled in userspace.

--
Tobin Davis

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it.
                -- Groucho Marx