Hello Folks,

I perused the mail list archives looking for an answer to a question,
and I see a fair number of people asking basically the same thing (two
unanswered questions on roughly the same topic in November alone) but no
answers. Can somebody please answer the following for inquiring minds:

Can we please have an official "Generic i386" platform? My personal need
is a bunch of old laptops and tablets laying around the house that I
would love to breath some new life into. I know that UMPC machines are
the focus and generic i386 machines are not the focus of Ubuntu UME, but
there is no other comparable solution for older hardware. I would love
to have, and would offer to host, a Ubuntu UME ISO image for a generic
i386 platform if somebody would cough one up for me occasionally.

Failing that can somebody mention in a FAQ or wiki why that would be
such a horrible idea and why it is not going to happen so people will
stop asking questions like this? I understand the machine would be
sluggish, maybe even unusuable. But can somebody at least try it once?

Thanks in advance,
James