On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 22:27 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> (Please tell me if you prefer the response to the mailing-list alone.)
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008, Rusty Lynch wrote:
> > For example... I grab the latest moblin-media source package:
> > $ apt-get source moblin-media
> > $ ls
> > moblin-media-0.38  moblin-media_0.38.dsc  moblin-media_0.38.tar.gz
> >
> > I grab the latest release tarball for moblin-media:
> > $ wget http://moblin.org/repos/releases/moblin-media-0.39.tar.gz
> >
> > I _think_ that I am supposed to change into the old source directory
> > and...
> >
> > $ cd moblin-media-0.38
> > $ uupdate -u moblin-media-0.39.tar.gz
> > uupdate: a native Debian package cannot take upstream updates
>
>  Argh, didn't think of that; right, uupdate doesn't work with native
>  packages; fortunately we're not going to have native packages much
>  longer.  Another good reason to avoid them.  ;)

Not much longer as in hardy time frame, or post hardy?

>  For native packages, you'll have to do the merge alone as we can't
>  distinguish between changes in Ubuntu (which would be in the .diff.gz
>  for a non-native package) and changes between upstream releases.  You
>  can only diff the trees and check whether nothing was left behind or
>  rely on the the notes in the debian/changelog.
>
> > That didn't work... so I am guessing this is because the last changelog
> > entry was just straight 0.38 instead of 0.38-somethingNUM, so I change
> > debian/changelog to make the last entry (0.38-ubuntu0), and...
>
>  That's not really sufficient to convert a native package to a
>  non-native one; you'd have to also:
>  - provide a 0.38 tarball (name it moblin-media_0.38.orig.tar.gz and put
>    it in the parent dir)
>  - call dpkg-source -b on the dir (or run a package build e.g. debuild,
>    dpkg-buildpackage etc. they all call dpkg-buildpackage which calls
>    dpkg-source)
>
>  => this will compare your tree to the .orig tarball and will output a
>  .diff.gz and a .dsc and effectively provide you with a non-native
>  0.38-0ubuntu1 (BTW "0ubuntu1" is what you want [1]).
>
> > So... I can't just move into the new source directory and run debuild.
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
>  So sorry for suggesting uupdate just right now, it will be handy for
>  the next updates, but it's only useful for non-native.  What uupdate
>  does is simply unpacking the new upstream tarball, applying the old
>  diff against the new tarball and telling you if it doesn't apply, then
>  builds a source and tells you to change directory into the new source
>  tree.

BTW, could explain what 'native package' means?  I see the term being
tossed around the debian documentation, but I must have missed the
actual definition.

So... do we need to convert all the moblin packages to non-native or
<insert list of steps to go from new tarball release to happiness in the
ppa>

    --rusty