I've followed the instructions at that link (thanks for sending, Ling) but
I've hit a failure point at Step 5 (Test the target image UI on the
workstation -- which for me is the final goal, so it's not really an
optional step).

When I run ume-xephyr-start per the instructions, I get this:

======================================

Setting screen resolution to 1024x600
Setting DISPLAY=:0
Starting dbus
 * system message bus already started; not starting.
Starting UI in Xephyr
error opening security policy file /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Extended Input Devices not yet supported. Impelement it at line 625 in
../../../../hw/kdrive/src/kinput.c

sh: /usr/bin/xkbcomp: not found
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing
from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":2.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

It appears that the UI or Xephyr did not start
Note 1: Make sure that dbus is started successfully
Note 2: Make sure you have enabled control access on DISPLAY :0
 Example (run on workstation terminal):  xhost +SI:localuser:root

OK, so Notes 1 and 2 at the end are not relevant -- the output above confims
dbus is already started; and I have run the command from Note 2 on the
workstation terminal before trying ume-xephyr-start per the instructions.

So, it seems like there are multiple other problems; where do I begin to
tackle them?

Thanks,
RL