On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 23:01 +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008, Tobin Davis wrote:
> > I thought the idea was that minor updates would go out as normal (taking
> > up space on the r/w partition), and then there would be a mechanism to
> > do system updates where everything on sda1 is replaced (boot kernel,
> > initrd, rootfs.img).
>
>  Interesting, and makes sense; was this documented somewhere?  I would
>  be interested in checking what "full system" images were planned, and
>  when.

My understanding was that ubuntu-ume would be a building block for
system integrators to develop their own customized images.  Based on
that premise, they would be pushing their own updates.  Otherwise, we
should get the update-manager system built into the image.

>  I also wonder whether MIC supports all of the ideas you bring up -- or
>  another software, proof of concept script etc.

Not that I know of, but it could be rolled into MIC fairly easily.  I
believe it already has an "ignore" list of directories when creating the
rootfs.img file.

> > Also, is there a reason not to create subdirectories on the r/w
> > partition for various things, like a /home directory and a /changes
> > directory that mirrors the rootfs?
>
>  Not quite sure what you mean.  These should be autocreated by unionfs
>  AFAIK.

Right now, rootfs.img is mounted as an overlay to /dev/sda2, where any
changes made to rootfs.img are in /dev/sda2 directly.  My thought is to
have a directory structure on /dev/sda2 so that upgrading sda1 can be
done without killing customizations and 3rd party installations.  I'd
have to diagram it out and do some testing I guess.

--
Tobin Davis

BOFH excuse #419:

Repeated reboots of the system failed to solve problem