Sounds like a classic issue of improperly writing to the usb stick.  To
copy the image to the usb stick (assuming /dev/sdb for the stick), use
"dd bs-1024 if=<image file> of=/dev/sdb".   Writing an image to a usb
stick is like filling out a grid on a checkerboard.  If you don't give
it the 1024 block size parameter, it writes one way (row by row), but
with the bs=1024, it writes column by column.

In my own early testing, I had ~40% success rate with just dd if=<image>
of=<drive>, but with the bs=1024, I have boosted that to %99.

Tobin

--
Tobin Davis

Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed -- but a woman is always a woman.
                -- Kirk, "The Conscience of the King", stardate 2818.9