On Monday 30 March 2009 19:15:10 Ronald Stewart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Also, is it in your GNOME ALSA Mixer settings (double click the
> speaker) you can go into File>Change devices and pick the external
> card considering that it has a driver in the build or class compliant
> ?

I am not sure that this matters but the "Volume Control" panel does not
include a task bar.  It has a drop down selector titled "Device:" with the
options described below.

Using your instructions I find that I have the following "Device:" entries:

HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
Realtek ALC269 (OSS Mixer)
Playback: HDA Intel - ALC269 Analog (PulseAudio Mixer)
Capture: Monitor of HDA Intel - ALC269 Analog (PulseAudio Mixer)
Capture: HDA Intel - ALC269 Analog (PulseAudio Mixer)

I have tried all of them.  When I rub my finger across the mike I can get
static out of my speaker but no sound recorded with Audacity.