On Mon, May 11, 2009, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  I started working on a setup to emulate armv7 in qemu; I chose to
>  emulate the realview EB board using stock linux sources.  I also
>  patched qemu and kernel to use the high phys offset mode to allow for
>  512 MB of RAM.

 So while this was promising on paper, it turned out to be a dead end:
 there's no PCI support on the real realview EB hardware and hence no
 support in the upstream linux kernel; my attempts at adding such a fake
 hardware weren't particularly successful.

 Instead I rebased my work on the ARM versatile board.  It's easy to
 move to v7 with this board, but sadly not to add 256 MB of RAM.  On
 realview EB, there was a convenient high phys offset mode where 512 MB
 would fit.  On versatile I had to do various things to add more RAM:
 - register a second RAM area in qemu; passed to the kernel via ATAG;
   this is an ugly patch because qemu only has support for a single
   memory bank and I didn't have time to add support for a list of banks
 - move to a 2G/2G split for userspace/kernelspace (instead of 1G/3G) to
   allow to move the vmalloc end by 512 MB; otherwise the new mem
   segment would conflict with vmmalloc-ed RAM

 (I'm interested in any nicer way to do this!)

 I wrote my qemu changes against tip, but sadly they didn't apply very
 well against 0.10.x; I have a patch which builds for 0.10.x, but it
 doesn't work and I don't have the time to research the issue right now.

 I've posted a binary kernel, a launcher script and my kernel and qemu
 patches at:
    http://people.ubuntu.com/~lool/qemu-buildd/
    (call qemu with -m 256 and you get some extra hardcoded 256 MB)

 I'll try getting the 0.10.x support running, and hopefully upload a
 rootfs + my notes.

   Cheers
--
Loïc Minier