Hey all,
I'm currently unable to spend any time on implementing the ARM
softbootloader this cycle, so I'm dropping this overview here, and would
be glad to accept any patches or help from anyone who has some free time
to help work on it for karmic+1. A good overview of the Design and
Rationale is available on the original specification, this spec can be
found here: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/ARMSoftbootLoader.

The softbootloader itself is built around the kexec mechanism built in
the kernel; this mechanism allows a new kernel to loaded into RAM, and
then executed without having the machine having to cycle through
BIOS/POST again, as well as allowing a kernel to be loaded from
locations normally inaccessible to be loaded. As most ARM bootloaders
are fairly limited in their ability to load from different locations
this allows us to work around the problem, as well as giving the user to
load multiple kernels similar in functionality to GRUB on x86.

The current work I've done in writing a softbootloader is here:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~mukluk-dev/mukluk/trunk, if anyone is
interested in working with it, or committing code, feel free to drop me
an email or ping me on IRC. As a side-note, the code-base itself is
architecture-independent and I have done most the development on it on
amd64 and i386 VMs and real hardware; as long as your machine supports
kexec, you can run it.
Michael