On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Alexander Sack <a...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:23:37PM -0300, Ricardo Salveti wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> RootStock 0.1.99.4 is now official.
>>
>> This version brings more bug fixes plus a couple of important features
>> before 0.2.
>>
>> Now you can run rootstock as user, by giving the argument --no-root.
>> Running as user will require to run debootstrap's second phase and
>> first boot entirely in a VM, so things can be slower than running as
>> root.
>>
>> When running rootstock in a x86* machine, the normal path now goes
>> with chroot and qemu-arm-static as running the first boot in a VM is
>> quite unstable.
>>
>> Another interesting feature is the ability to run rootstock in a
>> native ARM environment. This is probably the best way to generate big
>> images, as we avoid all the issues with Qemu.
>>
>> For more information please check
>> https://edge.launchpad.net/project-rootstock/trunk/0.1.99.4 and
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RootStock/KnownIssues for known issues.
>>
>> Please give it a try and let us know about any issues you may find.
>
> Thanks for working on this Ricardo.
>
> Maybe we could discuss how we can move the rootstock features missing
> to live-helper in the long run?

Sure.

> I want to avoid us doing long term duplication of effort if there is
> no real distinct difference in the use cases addressed. Especially
> since our linaro live-helper produces rootfs'es rather than images
> now.

Currently the main feature of rootstock is to be able to do cross arch
builds, in a way you can quickly get a minimal rootfs.

The ARM support was added just to be possible to use it the same way
on your x86* machine, but avoiding Qemu.

I agree that in long term we should focus more on improving
live-helper, as it's commonly used for other purposes. Let's discuss
more and see what are the missing bits of live-helper so we can work
on this together.

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo