Hi Emmet,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:56:22AM +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 7:53 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Just a brief note to remind you all that the DebianImportFreeze[1] for Hardy
> > is two days away[2].  This is the deadline for initial merges of packages
> > for Hardy; after Thursday, December 13, merging packages is a freeze
> > exception, so please have your remaining merges for hardy finished before
> > this point.

>     As this message has resulted in some confusion in #ubuntu-motu,

Ack, sorry for this; the message was drafted somewhat quickly with the
intention of giving people a reminder with as much lead time as possible,
but at the expense of clarity.

To clarify now: this wasn't meant to be taken as any sort of policy change,
just a reminder of the impending deadline.

> I've drafted the following guidelines on what DebianImportFreeze means
> for Universe.  I'm not speaking authoritatively, and would welcome
> correction if I am mistaken.

> 1)  Go visit MoM, DaD, or multidistrotools, and merge everything by
> Wednesday night/  Don't worry if it doesn't have your name on it: at
> this point any merge is fair game.

This sounds like a reasonable policy to me for packages which have not yet
been merged in hardy (which is what the deadline is actually for - initial
merges), but I also don't presume to speak authoritatively here; as Scott
mentions, there may be reasons for not merging a particular package, and I
don't want to be blamed for encouraging people to merge recklessly. :-)

> Further, if you were waiting for a sync, now is the time to push the merge
> in: there's no more wait needed.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  By "waiting for a sync" do
you mean "waiting for the archive admins to sync a package", or "waiting for
the Debian package to be in a state that's syncable"?  If the latter, I
agree completely.  If you mean the former, I would hope that's not an issue,
and if it is please let me know so that we can address that.

> 2)  After this point, merges may still be done, but should only be
> done when the Debian change is explicitly desireable for inclusion in
> hardy (e.g. "Contains feature foo which integrates better with the
> default installation", or "Fixes bug bar which annoys a bunch of
> people" or "The assigned merger didn't merge by the deadline, and we
> want the new updates" (the last of these should be done in the next
> week or two)).  Merges that change binary package names or otherwise
> cause transitions should be avoided, and anyone contemplating such a
> merge becomes responsible for coordinating updates to all the rdepends
> (this typically requires a truly significant feature or important bug)

I think this is a bit more conservative than necessary.  The aim of the DIF,
as I understand it, is to make sure we don't find ourselves with packages
getting merged right before FeatureFreeze for the first time in the release
cycle, bringing in six months worth of Debian changes when we're supposed to
be stabilizing.  As long as the bulk of these changes have been merged in
advance of the DIF, I don't think the justification for an "updated merge"
needs to be particularly elaborate.

I do agree with you that mergers need to take responsibility for any
transitions they cause after this point, and that any exceptions for the DIF
should be made sooner rather than later.

> 3) The Universe DIF Freeze exception process works as follows:
>     A: Document why the package should be merged (bugs are good for this)
>     B: Determine the rdepends, and plan any required transition (avoid these)
>     C: Get a member of ~ubuntu-dev (possibly including yourself) to agree
>     D: Upload all affected packages (should be less than 10) (may
> include sync requests)

All of the above sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Cheers,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]