Scott Kitterman schrieb:
> I did in fact upload some packages
> with comment on stuff that ought to be fixed in the next revision.

That sounds to me like a good solution.

> In general, the only thing missing in you scenario was the MOTU advocating
> after the fixed upload.  Of course your scenario also didn't include the
> contributor ping the MOTU on irc/email saying 'I've fixed your issues,
> please look again and see if it's ready.'

I believe there are a lot of cases where REVU uploads are "triaged" (as
part of the long long list) and simply comment on the few obvious things
that could be improved. If the MOTU felt empowered to make the decision
right now and not leave the upload waiting for another ACK we would come
down to high-quality reviews quicker.

> We get a lot of drive by packagers who
> really won't come back and fix it.

Right, that happens and is a problem. I'm just not sure how the NEW
packages process can make them more interested in packaging and maintaining.

>> It all boils down to the question: "Why don't we trust one MOTU to get
>> it right?"
>>
> Because historically they don't (myself included).

What can we do to
 - strengthen the culture of "clean up after breaking stuff"
 - make it easier to spot real problems? (I don't see much public
discussion about things we've learned or much exchange of information.)

> It occurs to me that if you really believe that the new package process
> should be the same as the sponsorship process, then you ought to discuss
> eliminating manual New review with the archive admins.

I mentioned a "higher similarity" between the processes, but we won't
get around an archive admin review.

> It's very
> frustrating after having finally gotten your package uploaded to have to
> wait for two seperate and sequential New reviews.

Do you mean source new and binary new or do I miss something here?

Have a nice day,
 Daniel

- --
My 5 today: #210449 (network-manager-applet), #215043, #193764
(evolution-scalix), #215472 (gnome-themes-extras), #205756 (gnome-
subtitles)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day