Florian Grandel wrote:
> I am currently helping out in packaging JBoss AS for Debian. It's a
> first time experience for me so please do not expect me to know the
> Debian and/or Ubuntu processes very well.
>
> 1) Who can I talk to at Ubuntu to coordinate packaging with the Ubuntu
> developer team or to get sponsorship from Ubuntu? How can I make sure
> that there is no duplication of efforts at Ubuntu? Is there a Java
> mailing list or a Java developers group for Ubuntu?

    The Java packaging team tends to spend time in #ubuntu-java on
freenode, but the best strategy is that which you are already
following: to get the package into Debian first.

> 2) What do I have to do to make sure that the package can be admitted to
> Ubuntu universe once it has been released to Debian contrib? (It
> certainly is our goal to replace all non-free dependencies but this is
> work-in-progress.)

    Once it is accepted into Debian contrib, if DebianImportFreeze (1)
has passed, one files a sync request (2), and subscribes the
ubuntu-universe-sponsors group for inclusion in universe.  A package
so constructed will end up in the in the multiverse respository, due
to the dependencies.

1: 26 June - see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debian/ImportFreeze
2: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess

--