On Thursday 26 June 2008 16:29:21 Null Ack wrote:

> My apologies for asking what seem's like a basic question but how does
> a user go about requesting that a package get updated?

Your email is a bit confused, but I guess you want to know about backports:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

> I especially consider mplayer, gnome-player and x264 to be a special
> case where SVN builds do not pose any real risk to being backported
> into released Ubuntu revisions.

About gnome-mplayer, there is absolutely no risk in backporting the
development release to the stable release (I'm actually running 0.6.2 on
gutsy).
Its not done so far simply because nobody bothered to take the time and
actually ask for it.

HTH,

Cesare