Hello,

(Note: please CC replies to me as I am unsure how to join the list at the
moment).

I have GeoServer 1.6.4 setup on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1.

It can connect to a PostgreSQL / PostGIS 1.3 database, with GEOS 2.2.3, but
fails to be able to access spatially enabled columns.

According to the PostGIS documentation webpage (
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/ ) PostGIS requires GEOS 3.0.

As mentioned in the GeoServer FAQ, GeoServer may hang if PostGIS does not have
GEOS installed (see
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOSDOC/GeoServer+hangs+when+requesting+from+a+PostGIS+data+store
 ). This is the behaviour I get, which would make sense as I only have the
below recommended 2.2.3 version.

I am reluctant to jump into compiling such a complex system unless I really
have to. Are there plans to release the GEOS 3.0 library for Ubuntu ? If I know
it's coming along then I can plan around this and do other things in the
meantime.

Thanks

BTW this is for the Space Data Wiki project (
http://spacedatawiki.sourceforge.net/ ).

DJ Barney

Portal, SpaceDataWiki: SourceForge Project.