On Sunday 17 August 2008 00:49, Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
> Hi!
>       Currently there is no policy about how to make changes in the packages,
> there are some good practices and a lot of developers try to use patch
> systems whenever they can and don't touch the source code outside
> debian/ directly, but that's still at the developer's discretion.
>       For that reason i wanted to start a discussion on the topic, to start
> working with debian on preparing the packages with a patch system, so we
> (and other derivatives) can make patches without the need of changing
> the packaging. Also i will suggest to the revu reviewers to ask the
> packagers to add a patch system on their packages.
>       What did you think about it? Any comments?
>
> 1. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/supertux/+bug/249195

For Ubuntu I think this is a good idea as the only common format we have for
team maintenance is the source package and it should stand on it's own.

For Debian, many maintainers keep their packages in their favorite VCS and so
it's less relevant as a policy issue.

I have put comments about this on REVU, as recently as yesterday.

Scott K