On Tuesday 19 August 2008 15:11, Neil Wilson wrote:

> Rubygems contains 'gem' - the Ruby Package manager. Ruby on Rails is a
> gem based framework and is completely integrated with the gem package
> manager. In Intrepid I would expect users to continue to use gem to
> install Rails and for that to be feasible we need a Rubygems package
> that works as people expect it to work. I have implemented a patch
> that uses the alternatives system so that we can have gem install
> binaries in the $PATH without gem and apt running into each other and
> without violating Debian policy.  This will close a long standing bug
> (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/145267).
>
> I've been working closely with the Rubygems upstream team and the
> package is based on the latest source code from their repository which
> will be released as Rubygems 1.3.0 very shortly. Getting this into
> Intrepid will mean that it has the very latest Rubygems containing
> User based gem support, which is required so that Rails' automatic gem
> installation tasks work correctly.

Does it have any notion of versions yet?

If one has two different gems that use the same binaries how does that work?

I think the answer (as Python has largely learned and Java is learning) is you
have to have a system that will let a package use the installed system
libraries and not try and work around the package management system?

Scott K