On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Scott Kitterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:57:29 -0700 "Jordan Mantha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Michael Bienia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>><snip>
>>> Or to put it an other way: what makes a person a "MOTU"?
>>> - is it the membership in the ~motu team (and it's a coincidence that
>>>  the team has upload rights)
>>> - or is it the upload rights to universe/multiverse (which are granted
>>>  by being a member of ~motu)
>>
>>I think it's basically both indistinguishable from each other. A
>>person can have great technical skills (like say a Debian Developer)
>>and that doesn't give them an automatic MOTUship, primarily because
>>MOTU involves both upload rights and a correct understanding of
>>Universe policies and relationship with the Universe community. It's
>>these last two bits that are relevant to this thread. What concerns me
>>about granting MOTUship to people who don't do any significant work in
>>Universe or contribute to the Universe community (in #ubuntu-motu or
>>on the mailing list) is that the difference between Universe and Main
>>is often more than just which LP access team you're in. There are
>>sometimes subtle but significant policy differences. There are
>>noticeable cultural differences as well.
>>
>>> Perhaps I see a difference where no exists, but it depends on how one
>>> defines "being a MOTU". And I currently don't know which view is correct
>>> (if there is a correct view), perhaps it's like the "wave  particle
>>> duality" of a photon.
>>
>>/me <3 photons  ;-)
>
> Well then I guess I'm left feeling like this is the unwritten "Server Team
> need not apply" rule.
>
> When I've brought this up about people who were active in #ubuntu-desktop,
> but not #ubuntu-motu my concerns were dismissed.
>
> I feel like it's a clear double standard.

Well, IMO, that's an entirely different discussion. I haven't
particularly seen a double standard, though I have seen a general lack
ok "inquisitiveness" about applicants. Perhaps people get more
inquisitive when it comes to applicants from the Server Team (for
whatever reason, probably lack of familiarity) and that's what you're
interpreting as a double standard?

One one level I might say "Server Team need not apply", just the same
as I'd say "Desktop Team need not apply" because I want MOTUs, not
Server/Desktop Team members with Universe upload rights. But maybe
that's just me.

-Jordan