Stephan Hermann wrote:
> I think the problem is, that many people don't know, that debian
> source packages do have this diff.gz handling, which is also a "patch"
> system. Not the best one, but actually it works.

And that's exactly the problem.  You don't WANT patches munged up into
the single massive .diff.gz because then it becomes extremely hard to do
things like fix them so they apply cleanly to a new upstream, or break
them out and send them to upstream to apply, or easily remove them once
upstream has accepted the patch.

> A debianized source tree (with debian/ already applied) can be changed
> outside debian/ dir and those changes are going in the resulting
> diff.gz. No orig.tar.gz source is being touched.

And then when you drop in a new .orig.tar.gz from upstream, you have
dozens of errors applying the .diff.gz and since it's all one monolithic
patch, it's much, much harder to sort out.  With a patch system the old
.diff.gz will always apply cleanly to a new upstream tarball since it
only adds files to debian/, and then when you build it tries to apply
each patch individually and if one fails, disabling it or fixing it is
much simpler when you are dealing with an individual smaller patch with
its own documentation.