On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Siegfried Gevatter (RainCT)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently [0] requests for new packages are done on Launchpad and they
> are not allowed on Brainstorm. However, I think that this situation is
> not optimal as there's no good way to know how many people are
> interested in a package * and so if someone wants to package one of
> those requested applications he has no clue on which of them are the
> most popular.
>
> I suggests that Brainstorm becomes the preferres place instead. Here
> are some advantages that this would have:
>  - Option to vote +1/0/-1 for the idea, and to suggest alternative
> applications which do the same task **.
>  - Place to comment without polluting the Launchpad bug.
>  - All requests reviewed by a moderator **.
>  - It's the obvious place for them ("package X" is an idea, isn't it? :)).
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
> * Okay, there will be a "also affects me" count in the future (right
> now you can mark a bug as affecting you, but there's no place where
> the count of affected people is visible), but still, Brainstorm is
> more adequate and has more visibility than Launchpad (and nice banners
> to make requests more popular).
> ** With the new version of Brainstorm, which will get online once the
> Canonical sysadmins get time to update it. Preview here:
> http://devel.ideatorrent.org/.

I'm intrigued by this idea. Here's a quick thought/proposal, what if
we split our current "needs-packaging" system into something more like
Debian's RFP (Request For Package) and ITP (Intent To Package) system.
I believe RFPs would be perfect for Brainstorm. Even more nice might
be a brainstorm instance on REVU so you can see the whole process from
REVU. Then we can use Launchpad for the ITPs, which make more sense.

Going along with this perhaps it would be useful to have a dummy or
minimal package called wnpp (to be consistent with Debian) that we can
file the ITP bugs against. Some advantages would be:
  * moves packaging requests/work out of the general category of
packages that aren't filed against any package, which would help the
people triaging that set of bugs.
  * it works very similar to Debian, which helps people get their
packages into Debian.
  * useful information such as policy/procedures for getting a new
package in could be installed via the package or perhaps it could
Recommend ubuntu-dev-tools or something.

I've added a MOTU Meeting agenda item which persia has agreed to
represent, as I won't make it, to discuss the idea of this idea.

Thoughts?

-Jordan