On Tuesday 11 November 2008 09:13, Nicolas Valcárcel wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 22:39 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > This is a stunningly bad idea and should stop.  I just finished trying
> > to help
> > a novice mentee who was trying to upgrade his system to Jaunty because
> > his
> > mentor told him too.
>
> No, that's not, i completely disgree with that. Most of the MOTU's have
> already strong technical skills and they can mentor someone for his MOTU
> journey, but if you take a closer look to the programme it has been
> splited in 2 "stages", the first one the junior mentor program, which is
> basically for starters who wish to became UUC and the senior program
> which is for people wanting to became a MOTU.

I understand the two part process.  I disagree that people with no particular
technical skills are suitable to be mentors.

> With that schema we can say that for new starters what is most needed is
> an overview of the tools we use (ubuntu-dev-scripts, pbuilder,
> launchpad, ubuntuwire, etc...) more than a hard technical guide, that's
> why the senior program is for, and for that program mentors need to be
> experienced MOTU's.

Well we need some standard of technical experience for mentors.  Currently the
only group we have that has met some standard of review for technical
experience is MOTU.

> I also agree that upgrading to jaunty was to much, so i will be really
> grateful if you send more information to the us (the mentoring
> receptions team) to work on that issues and fix stuff for the future
> instead of opening a big conversation on the public lists, as in
> security is better to talk with the people that can fix the issues
> before they are public.

I sent it to the reception list already (waiting moderation AFAIK).

The current situation is broken by design.  Assigning mentors with no standard
of technical capability to provide competent mentoring is just flat wrong and
should be stopped.  I've sent the information in private about who it was so
the specific individual can be counselled, but the discussion about changing
the rules needs to be in public.

Scott K