On 25/01/2009, at 05.39, charliej wrote:

> Two quick questions
>
> 1.  Would anyone be able to "review" and leave "comments" on packages
> (as it is now), or would reviewing packages be a MOTU only activity?

The reviewing and commenting procedures would not be changed. I think
that REVU generally is very useful and works very well as a reviewing
tool. It is certainly the best solution of any Linux distro I am aware
of.

For users of REVU, there would be mainly two differences from the
present situation. Firstly, the page with the long list of packages
that we have now would be partitioned into several pages, according to
how far you've gotten in the process. Packages will spend the longest
time on the "In Process" page, and so the user experience would be
exactly like now, except the view would not be cluttered by other
packages in different stages of development.

The "In Process"  and  "Advocacy pages would still have a "needs-
review" and "needs-work" section. Non-MOTUs will still be able to
comment, in fact it's a great help when people do that.

> 2.  If I read your proposal correctly REVU would only be open for
> uploads from the beginning of the release cycle to feature freeze?

Exactly, that's the second difference users will experience in their
use of REVU.  NEW packages that users want to have reviewed will enter
the "Unreviewed" page. So yes, a reasonable way to use this incoming
page would be to close it at Feature Freeze like you say, or perhaps
slightly before. But the MOTU team could also choose to close it for
say, a release cycle, if they want to focus on another effort during
that time.

However, while the close is in effect, uploads will still be possible
for packages "In Process", so the reviewing does not stop.

I think the Ubuntu community will accept that solution, especially
because people can "sort of" have their package in Ubuntu via the
PPAs, to the benefit of themselves and their friends. And the
community can also maintain their packages freely in bazaar on LP.

I  hope it's clearer now!

Cheers,
Morten