On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:53:52 +0000 Max Bowsher <m...@f2s.com> wrote:
>Charlie Smotherman wrote:
>> MOTU,
>>
>> I have a little problem that I need some help with.  I just update the
>> python-coherence package Bug #338408.  As you can tell from the bug I
>> collaborated with the Debian Maintainer to update the package in Debian
>> first.  During this collaboration I used a bzr branch to keep track of
>> what changes I made to the package and referred upstream to it along
>> with attaching a debdiff to the bug for upstream and for the
>> MOTU-release team.
>>
>> It has come to my attention the the package is now broken and several
>> bugs have been filed against it.  This is the culprit
>>
>> Setting up python-coherence (0.6.2-1) ...
>> file does not exist:
>>  /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/coherence/web/static/MochiKit.js
>>
>> During the package update Lintian complained of MochiKit.js as being a
>> violation of policy 4.13 so I took steps to correct this.  As part of
>> correcting this problem I add debian/links to link to the package
>> libjs-mochikit.  If you look at the attached branch and the attached
>> debdiff on Bug #338408 you will notice that debian/links reads
>>
>> /usr/share/javascript/mochikit/MochiKit.js
/usr/share/pyshared/coherence/web/static/MochiKit.js

>> The branch is what I used to build and test with, upstream was also
>> using the branch to help and advise me.  Once upstream (debian
>> maintainer) was satisfied, he told me that he would upload the branch.
>>
>> Now if you download the debian package and take a look at the diff.gz
>> debian/links now reads:
>>
>> /usr/share/javascript/mochikit/mochikit.js
/usr/share/coherence/coherence/web/static/MochiKit.js

>> As you can tell this is *not* what I sent upstream to the debian
>> developer.
>>
>> My question is what would be the best course of action to correct this
>> now broken package.
>
>I don't understand, what's the problem with simply treating it the same
>as any other bug in a Debian package, and reporting it to their BTS /
>working with a Debian Developer to get a fix uploaded?

It seems to me he feels some responsibility to correctly finish this fix he
started.  I applaud this tenacity and encourage others to emulate it.

Particularly this late in the cycle, actually fixing stuff is far better
than filling out a new bug.

Scott K