Thanks for writing that, and passing it along!  That sort of thing is
fun and I was planning to get around to it at some point.

While looking a bit more I found that in Jaunty at least, the
python-twitter package has a "tweet" script that does tweeting from
the command line.  It doesn't retrieve the current tweet though.

The best way to contribute that particular idea would be to work
"upstream" with the folks at http://code.google.com/p/python-twitter/
so that eventually it would improve not just the ubuntu tweet program,
but also the same thing in other distributions and operating systems.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/