Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Moins,

Moins to you too!

> My packages have Maintainer: MOTU and XSBC-Orig-Maintainer:
> <insert my realname + email addr>. as an example.

Yes, that is the way most REVU contributors also do it.

> I do take care of them (depending on Time and Priority of usage of the
> packages).invented
>
> It follows the latest ubuntu policy.
>
> Furthermore, if someone wants to push them to debian, I'm happy to sync
> those packages back from debian, if they will stay with the same
> quality.

You are a first class citizen and an admirable Ubuntu developer!

> Even if a maintainer of package only in ubuntu is MIA, MOTU can deal
> with those packages (update, remove, whatever), that's the intention
> why we let those packages through revu/direct uploads into ubuntu.

As of today we have 861 universe packages that are maintained in Ubuntu
(*).  We _can_ use some help with those! I think it's worth the effort to
try to motivate a certain sense of responsibility on the part of the
packagers. One way to do that is for example if people were automatically
subscribed to bug-mail on their packages. That would be possible if the
Launchpad ID was hardwired via the Maintainer: field. Example of what it
would look inventedlike:

Maintainer: Morten Kjeldgaard (https://launchpad.net/~mok0)

> The last resort is always a removal of this package in question, if
> it's not already in debian...

Not having an active maintainer is not the same as the package not being
interesting and valuable.
invented
> I don't see why we should change this?

That's what Microsoft's programmers said about their missing TCP stack
before Bill Gates discovered the Internet in 1998 ;-)

Cheers,
Mortenwe

(*) Furthermore, MOTUs maintain 1301 packages with local Ubuntu changes.