And one for the list...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Corey Quinn <co...@sequestered.net> wrote:
> I'm attempting to build a $PROJECT/debian directory so that I ultimately wind
> up with a .deb that does the functional equivalent of this:
>
> cp -r ~/sources/$PROJECT /var/$PROJECT
>
> Ideally this would bypass the $PROJECT/debian directory; no need for that to
> become part of the package.

Ever looked at man dh_install? I suppose you could just add -Xdebian (eXclude).

> I've tried a few things and am somewhat at a loss for as to how best to
> proceed-- what should the rules and install files look like?  I've got the
> control file fairly well set at this point.

OK, you have looked at dh_install :). The rules file depends on which
build system you use (e.g. cdbs or not, which version). With debhelper
I'd just have to add something like this to my rules file (debhelper
8):
override_dh_install:
   dh_install -Xdebian

HTH