Hi,

Thank you Rohan, Fabrice, and Jackson for the helpful advice. After
reading, I am confident that I can make good use of the watch file.  But
before I conclude, I want to clarify something.

So this is what mine would look like (taken directly from the Ubuntu PG
watch page) [1]

    # watch control file for uscan
    version=3
    https://launchpad.net/pylang/+download
http://launchpad.net/pylang/.*/pylang-(.+).tar.gz

Notice I get the package from launchpad. Is it correct?  Will this work
on future versions, regardless of what number the three digits may hold?
(pylang-#.#.#)

What if I did something like this:

    # watch control file for uscan
    version=3
    https://launchpad.net/pylang/+download
http://launchpad.net/pylang/.*/pylang-(.+).tar.gz debian uupdate

Say the package will be available on both Debian and Ubuntu, but first
through Ubuntu. Do I need to include "debian uupdate" [2]? Why or why
not?  I'm assuming that they apply to Debian and not necessarily to Ubuntu.

Thanks very much!

[1]
http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/debian-dir-overview.html#the-watch-file
[2] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/raring/man1/uupdate.1.html