Am Dienstag, den 28.03.2017, 13:42 +1100 schrieb Russell Standish:
> To Ubuntu SciDaVis package maintainer.
>
> I am the project manager for SciDaVis. I have a question with how
> package version numbers are supposed to work in Ubuntu. About 6 months
> ago we switched from using Aegis to Github for version releases, and
> one impact of that change was dropping the D "delta" tag from the
> release numbers. The current version of SciDaVis is now 1.14.
>
> I also distribute some prebuilt Linux binaries through the OpenSUSE
> build service.
>
> However, I notice that on Yaketty, if I add the OBS repositories, then
> Ubuntu considers the latest version (1.14) a downgrade from the
> version already in the Yakkety repository. Is it possible that Ubuntu
> is simply doing lexicographic sorting of the version string, and thus
> considers 1.D9 to be larger than 1.14, rather than using timestamps?

Numbers and strings are split before comparison. '.D' is compared to '.'
and is considered higher. [1]

> If so then, maybe my solution is to put the D back in, just for Debian
> systems, at least until version 2.1 is released.

I recommend this approach.

> Or is there a possibility of getting the official Yakkety distribution
> to upgrade to the latest scidavis?

Yes, you can add an epoch [1] to the Debian version, but then you always
have to carry the epoch. There will be no way back! Example:
1.D9 << 1:1.14 << 1:2.1

[1] For details see Debian policy §5.6.12 Version

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer