Hi Chris,

There are three channels available for updating software for Ubuntu users in
stable releases.

- Stable Release Updates.  These are made available by default on stable
  releases; the policy for these updates is at
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates and is quite strict.  The
  only way that the package updates you describe might be acceptable as SRUs
  is if they qualified as "hardware enablement" updates, which would need to
  be discussed in greater depth to understand if that's the case.  You would
  also need an Ubuntu Developer to drive the uploads of these packages for
  the SRU.

- Backports.  These are available to all users of the stable release, but
  are opt-in; users must specifically choose to install the package from the
  backports repository, or by default they will see the older version that
  was available at the time of the stable release.  You should be able to
  work directly with the Ubuntu Backports team to get a backport done (which
  has a baseline policy of: take the newer version of the package from the
  latest Ubuntu release, and publish it for the earlier release) without
  needing any sort of upload sponsorship by an Ubuntu Developer.

- Snaps.  This is the supported solution for third-party application
  packages on top of Ubuntu.  This option would enable you as an upstream to
  directly manage packages for your software and upload it to the Snap
  Store, without any Ubuntu Developer intermediaries required.  It would
  require a committment on your part (or on the part of someone else
  involved in the upstream) to be responsible for the packaging and the
  updates to users.  The packaging format is fairly straightforward, with
  limited packaging policy to trip you up:
  https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-your-first-snap#1-overview

If this gives you a sense of which path you would want to pursue for this
update, we can provide further guidance from there.

On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 01:07:16PM +0000, Rorden, Chris wrote:
> Hello
>
>  The current LTS of Ubuntu includes ancient versions of my software (from
> 2014 and 2018 respectively).  These versions pre-date the release of new
> formats like the Enhanced DICOM data generated by Siemens and GE MRI
> scanners.  Would it be possible to update these to match the Debian
> packages?  In general, my tools are updated each six months (Fall, Spring)
> to keep pace with the latest features of GE, Philips, Siemens, UIH and
> Mediso scanners.  Is there any way we can make the releases on Ubuntu
> match my own release cycle?
>
> See these packages:
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/science/mricron
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/science/dcm2niix
>
> Versus the Debian releases:
> https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/mricron
> https://packages.debian.org/source/bullseye/misc/dcm2niix
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> Prof. Chris Rorden, PhD
> Endowed Chair of Neuroimaging
> Director, McCausland Center for Brain Imaging
> Department of Psychology
> University of South Carolina
> Columbia SC, 29208
> USA