I agree that the videobackground.png file is better left out as it is. If it was possible to have an animated spinner, that might be better.

I don't much like the sliding panes either, from an aesthetic point of view. They just seem to be "too much" to me, sliding it from all over the place it seems. I don't mind a bit of animation, but I think it should be more subtle and classy.

Cheers,

John