Hi;

On 04/05/14 20:10, Mike Church wrote:

With the digitalization of Canada's TV offerings, and the lack of unencrypted QAM (I have a tuner card but it only works on the HD antenna I have), I am wondering:

With the switch from analogue to digital over air in the UK, I was able to continue to use a Hauppauge Nova T-500 card with twin tuners connected via antenna. There are various channels that are subscription only both encoded and include data streams. I have no use of them as the content is to my mind a waste of space.

However if It was needed obtaining a decryption card for the box or using decryption software should be be a real problem but I have more than enough channels without it.

With a two tuner card that gives me at least four recordable simultaneous programmes to record as needed. I have not tried to record more as the CPU I use is only a AMD 5000 with 4 Gb Ram and it is a rare occurrence that it would be needed.

At some point we will move home and hopefully to a cable area which in that case I will get a twin tuner card and continue doing the same.

Programs are also obtained via the internet where needed from a wide range of TV stations etc.

V.

1) How do people now use mythtv?

Do you use firewire off the set-top box? I tried it on a friend's machine with poor, unreliable (massively flakey) results, but that was a while ago.

Do you use PVR-150s or HVR-1600 cards plugged straight into the signal? This is my setup now, and though I get two tuners, it is low Q and I fear will disappear.

Do you use it for all other media and just download your TV off bittorrent?

What is the de-facto setup nowadays?