Who gets to decide that there's enough diversity? :P

I think Gnome will push even without Canonical mostly behind them. It is
more likely that Unity or its design ideas will get pushed back to more
conventional desktop environments, as I heard last time that Unity is for
the Netbook Edition.
On Oct 26, 2010 10:55 PM, "Ian Dexter R. Marquez" <iandex...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Still, Shuttleworth's pronouncement was pretty sensational. ;)
>
> Some would regard this decision (Unity vs GNOME Shell) as ultimately a
> fork, an idea that further (IMHO) exacerbates the perception that
> Canonical is not contributing enough to core GNOME functionality.
> GNOME's focus right now is to revamp the desktop experience, and with
> Canonical working essentially on their own on Unity, GNOME will be
> losing the much-needed feedback from Ubuntu's user base, and skills
> from Canonical's experienced engineers.
>
> (I don't want this to boil down to an "us vs them" debate -- anyone
> miss KDE vs GNOME vs Xfce vs whatever? Didn't think so.)
>
> Bottom line: it was a business decision for Canonical. They want
> market differentiation for the Ubuntu brand, and it's well within
> their right to decide what's best for their users. In the end, the
> free software community would have to decide which to support more.
> Diversity is good, but not too much. :)
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 18:11, Zak B. Elep <zak...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's sjvn for you. He just loves to sensationalize.
>>
>> On Oct 26, 2010 12:05 PM, "Allan E. Registos"
>> <allan.regis...@smpc.steniel.com.ph> wrote:
>>> Actually as one commentator pointed this out, the title is SJVN's
article
>>> is misleading, it is not a departure from "GNOME" which is the desktop,
but
>>> from the default shell of Gnome. Unity can be understood as a
counterpart or

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17224/ubuntu_changes_its_desktop_from_gnome_to_unity