On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:10:14AM +0000, Evan Dandrea wrote:
> There's a deeper problem here. Didier informs me that they were seeing
> a lot of crashes in unity8 with a smashed stacktrace. They realised
> the dying unity process was getting reaped and restarted by upstart
> while still being processed by apport because it was taking a long
> time to collect and process the core file. They set a timeout 30s
> (data/unity8.override in unity8-autopilot), which seemed to work
> around the problem, but perhaps that value is being exceeded.

> We need a better solution than increasing a timeout. James, does
> upstart provide us with a better mechanism for telling it to not kill
> a process in this state? Can we add one if not? :)

I don't see how this analysis can be correct.  upstart receives no signal
from the kernel that the process has died until after the core handler is
finished, and if the unity8 process has died with a segfault there's no
process for upstart to kill anyway - so the kill timeout can't be related
here.

A syslog from the time of one of these failures, with 'initctl log-priority
info', may be enlightening.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org