On 02/25/2014 08:59 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
>> Also looking at our boot log, I noticed that maliit-server always has
>> an open connection with pulse, which might not necessarily be what we
>> want. Bill, do you know if we can change maliit-server to only open
>> the connection with pulse if the user really wants sound on his
>> keyboard? At least pulse was not consuming any cpu after I disabled
>> maliit-server (saving battery).
>
> Just having a connection to PulseAudio should not cause CPU usage - only
> if you continuously stream audio through that connection.

I now saw you also filed a log in bug 1284415.

The following message:

alsa-sink.c: Underrun!
alsa-sink.c: Scheduling delay of 21.88ms > 14.11ms, you might want to
investigate this to improve latency...

Indicates two things:

 1) A playback stream is active. Executing "pactl list sink-inputs"
should help you understand which stream.

 2) Ogra posted something about not being able to get RT priority. The
above shows that this is a practical problem for us - it causes audio
drop outs. You might not notice it much with normal music playback, but
it would be worse for, say, VoIP.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic