This looks like same issue I debugged few months ago, basically Ubuntu boot
image grew to large to fit into recovery partition on Nexus 7. For some
reason N7 has recovery partition smaller than boot partition, also lot
smaller than other devices.
So unless there has been done some effort to shrink Ubuntu boot image, or
at least to do it for Nexus 7, then dualboot cannot function.

cheers
 Ondrej