Mixer GUI could be useful, but generally everything should work without it.
You don't want to change the sink volume because that affects all possible
sound sources. The way it works now ist that an app creates a playback
device in pulseaudio and the volume rocker changes the volume of that
specific playback device as long as the app is in focus. That way the
volume can be set differently for each app. In addition there is a slider
to change the ringtone volume in settings. I don't know how this creation
of a playback device and attaching it to the volume rocker is done. The
problem with baresip seems to be that the volume rocker ist not attached to
its pulseaudio playback device. You can list the playback devices with
"pactl list sink-inputs". Could be that if you make a GUI wrapper for
baresip this would work automatically.