Hi all,

I have been using testdrive [1] as a tool for running ad-hoc ISO tests.
I like it -- it simplifies my life, not having to worry about syntax on
qemu-img and qemu/kvm. Heartly thanks go to Dustin, for having made my
life easier :-)

I have already submitted a patch to testdrive [3] (and Dustin accepted
it) allowing generic user configurations to be stored under
~/.config/testdrive. This is the first piece in a more complex move to
testdrive, as I see it.

Now.

One of the tests I am writing up involves running the install without a
network connection [2]. This is easily done for KVM runs -- define a
new testdrive configuration file, containing just the KVM parameters to
be run:

KVM_ARGS = "-usb -usbdevice tablet -soundhw es1370 -net nic,model=virtio -net
user,restrict=y"

The important piece is the '-net user,restrict', which will signal KVM
that the NIC should not be used (but will still be defined). The rest
is there because right now testdrive will use the whole string as the
parameters to be passed when calling KVM. This is in no way a problem
per se.

This absolutely breaks when the user wants to run VirtualBox --
the VirtualBox definitions are hard-coded in testdrive, so there is no
way a no-network test run can be done without code changing by the user.

So we should look at changing the way these parameters are passed, so
that both KVM and VirtualBox can profit from one single set of
parameters.

Additionally, right now testdrive will default to having both the ISO
and the image cache under the same master directory ($CACHE/iso and
$CACHE/img). Of course, the user *can* soft-link the subdirectories,
e.g. $CACHE/img -> /dev/shm. But this requires an additional, manual,
step before running testdrive... and I would very much like to have the
community running testdrive in an as-easy-as-possible way.

So. It seems we should:

 * allow for changes to the VM definitions to be propagated to both KVM
   and VirtualBox
 * add a different cache for images in the configuration; if not
   specified, then it defaults to $CACHE
 * others?

I would really appreciate input on this.

Thank you,

..C..

[1] https://code.launchpad.net/~kirkland/testdrive/trunk
[2]