I have two machines, an old desktop which had 9.10 on it. I updated it
online, and it worked okay but no audio for youtube. I finally realized
something in the mixer was shut off.   This was a minor problem for an
experienced user, but could be bad for a newbie.

That machine seems to work okay, and the Firefox browser scrolls
smoothly with the up and down arrows. (I had this problem on my main
machine with 9.10.)

On the main machine, I first cloned the entire HD to an external HD just
in case, because this one has all the good stuff on it.

It updated fine.  The Firefox browser still scrolls in a very unpleasant
manner. Further stated, it is simply not acceptable. So, it is not
something in the 1500+ files updated.

So, I installed via CD ISO to an empty partition. This one, Firefox
scrolls perfectly. To be frank, I have no idea where to start. I may
look at plugins or extensions and see if removing something helps.

I would prefer to solve the problem if I can, but with no ideas where to
start and some serious deadlines on personal projects, I don't know how
well I will do.

In general 10.04 looks fine.  I have a lot of work to get the other
partition working exactly as I want.  I will let y'all know if I find
something on the scrolling problem.