Rahul,

I'm a new guy too so nothing definitive to follow, but I'm happy to share what little I've learned in the last few weeks.

My biggest problem getting started is the sheer size of the task and the lack of assignments. This is a job for the self-motivated, self directed person not a supervised grunt. Personally, I wouldn't mind being assigned some grunt work in the beginning. it might go a long way to help getting the new guy immersed in the process. So if any of you mentors need some manpower on your current task just ask.

There's a fair amount written in the QA wiki's you can start at the testing team page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/> but I haven't found an answer to the question "what do I do"

ISO testing <http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/> has some defined test plans that are best run on a spare machine.

It is most convenient for me to run a virtual machine so I've been loading iso's and trying to use it as much as I can. Lately this has led to as many problems with VirtualBox and it's client drivers as it has with Natty but I'm not sure that is a bad thing. I'd like to get experience with Unity and exercise it but current issues with the 3D VB drivers are postponing that.

As far as I can tell so far, the main function of the QA team is to use the new stuff and generate high quality bug reports on the problems we find.

It doesn't seem to be coordinated effort with assignments or test plans, so I've been exploring and loading and using packages that I normally use and anything else that catches my fancy. When I run into a problem it's 50-50 a bug or my inexperience so I do a lot of web searching, reading bug reports and forum posts, I'm spending much of my time in /var/log. it's a great way to educate myself and maybe help the process.

As I said I'm new, I have no problem with people telling me I'm wrong or pointing out what I'm missing, just the opposite. The main reason for this email is to find problems with my view of the process.

Welcome aboard and good hunting.
Joe