Hello Ara,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Ara Pulido <a...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello Grant,
>
> On 03/25/2011 02:20 AM, Grant Bowman wrote:
>> Greetings community,
>>
>> I was helping a friend install Natty on a ExoPC tablet
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoPC two weeks ago but found the lack of
>> specific information a little frustrating. Has anyone considered
>> creating https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Tablet or a similar page
>> analogous to the existing https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Laptop
>> process for users to share their experiences, frustrations and
>> solutions?
>>
>> Wiki pages or some similar system that accepts submitted contributions
>> might be a great way to harness the efforts people are making on their
>> own as they start to use some of the new tablets coming to market now.
>> I also find key compatibility information tied to specific hardware
>> models invaluable when trying to make purchase recommendations or
>> decisions. With an organized effort I bet our community could be seen
>> to significantly contribute to the quickly expanding tablet community.
>> As hardware changes so quickly one of the only reasonable way to
>> provide this is with some kind of crowd sourced system. One hurdle
>> will be to verify submitted information but if there is a critical
>> mass of contributors and some kind of rating system this shouldn't be
>> too difficult in theory.
>
> I think this is a great idea, thanks for bringing it.
>
> Actually, the laptop testing team has improved the way they report
> results with their own tracker:
>
>    http://laptop.qa.ubuntu.com/
>
> Do you think this would be something useful for your project?

I don't think that system has the capabilities or value to end users
that I tried to describe. What I am hoping is that end users would be
enabled to help each other, providing validation of what works and
what doesn't for their particular combination of hardware, kernel
modules and software. Reporting bugs or harnessing testing was not my
intended user base. In thinking about this a bit more it might make
more sense to work with the launchpad team to see if features could be
added, extending their work to provide a delightful result for less
experienced end users.

Cheers,

Grant