Andy,

I'm new too so I may be wrong, if so somebody please correct me (quickly
if possible).  I'm answering for my benefit as much as yours.

I believe that unless it's a milestone test it's better to use the daily
iso to install.  This tests the installation process.

After installation I do an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" to test
the latest packages.  I also have a script to install my favorite packages.

What I've been hearing is that what you propose is a valid way to
validate the milestones while what I propose is more addressed toward
usability of the current state of things.  Both are useful and it's up
to you to decide.

My philosophy is that working with pre-releases is a way to make sure
what I want to use is well tested, so in a well backed up and safe way,
I'm trying my normal activities as much as possible.

Joe