On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 05:47:33PM +0200, Paolo Sammicheli wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Unfortunately I missed the last IRC Meeting but I've seen on the log that
> Brian Murray
> informed you about his research (thanks again Brian!).
>
> For those who don't know what I'm talking about, this is the relevant links:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugsKnownWorkAround
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/54652
>
> So, at moment around 10.000 bugs have information about workaround but the
> point is that
> the information is not properly exposed.
>
> One example is the bug #753971 ( http://pad.lv/753971 )
>
> Workarounds for this bug would be:
>
> - Log in on Classic Mode since only Unity is affected
> - Downgrade unity to 3.8.10-0ubuntu2
> sudo apt-get install unity=3.8.10-0ubuntu2 unity-common=3.8.10-0ubuntu2
>
> But the information is spread on the comments, although this is a well known
> bug in
> Natty in which many well known developers have ran into (and as far I
> understand this
> case isn't included in Brian research because there's no workaround keyword
> on the
> description).
>
> So, my opinion is still that we need to improve the workaround exposition
> improving
> launchpad itself, but I don't know where to move the next step.
>
> Suggestions?

I'd suggest creating an official bug tag for workaround and using the
tag to search for bug reports with workarounds as it is not easy to
search bug descriptions.  We could then take the list of bugs with
variations of the word 'workaround' in the bug description and tag them
with the workaround tag.  Some of this could be done automatically but
the majority would need to be done manually.  Then going forward we
could update the description with the workaround and also tag the bug
reports.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master